HPV Vaccine Eligibility Expansion for Males Born in 2005
Resident BC males born in 2005 are now eligible for free HPV vaccine (previously only males born in 2006 or later were eligible). In order to qualify for publicly funded vaccine these eligible males must start their vaccination series before turning 19 years of age.
*Updated November 28, 2023: A 6-month operational grace period to allow for cisgender males born in the first half of 2005 (i.e., January to June) to initiate their HPV vaccine series until June 30, 2024.
Other individuals are also eligible for free HPV vaccine as part of their routine recommended vaccinations. See here for more details.
HPV Publicly Funded Eligibility Criteria
Please review the BCCDC’s product page for HPV nonvalent vaccine as other individuals who are eligible for the vaccine may also approach your pharmacy.
- The vaccination schedule for those initiating a series after 15 years old is 3 doses.
- The vaccination schedule for those initiating a series on schedule (9-14 years old) is 2 doses.
Partnering with Health Authorities
Health Authorities have partnered with select pharmacies to support provision of HPV vaccinations within their respective regions. These pharmacies will be supplied a small amount of HPV vaccine on an ongoing basis to ensure that patients have sites where they can readily access HPV vaccine.
Pharmacies were selected based on a number of factors, including: identified need per Community Health Service Area (CHSA), history of providing publicly funded HPV vaccine, ability to support programs with low demand, pharmacy type, hours of operation and agreement to submit required records to the Health Authority.
Pharmacies not partnering on this program can continue to make requests for HPV vaccine on a case-by-case basis.
Procedures for each HA
Fraser Health Procedures
- Pharmacies can place orders for HPV vaccines with their local health unit.
- Please Return an Immunization Record Return Form for doses administered to your local health unit weekly.
Northern Health Procedures
HPV Ordering Procedures:
- Please contact your local health unit.
- You will be able to order up to 6 pre-filled syringes of Nonvalent HPV Vaccine (Gardasil 9) to start the campaign.
- Re-orders can be placed when running low on vaccine based on anticipated demand.
- Please return the Northern Health Report of Immunization form when placing order for new vaccine. Please also include records of any privately funded stock that was used to support the publicly funded program.
Interior Health Procedures
- You can now place an order for HPV vaccine through email@example.com.
- Please return a completed report of immunization form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Island Health Procedures
- Participating pharmacies can contact their local health unit to order HPV vaccines - Publicly Funded Vaccine Order Form
- No reporting forms are required at this time.
Vancouver Coastal Health Procedures
- Participating pharmacies can contact their local health unit to order HPV vaccines.
- Administration of publicly funded HPV vaccines should be recorded in PharmaNet using the PIN 66128117.
- In the SIG field please enter the following: “LOT_SITE (e.g., Left, right)”
- For example “12345_RIGHT”.
- For details, see PharmaCare Publicly funded vaccines.
- Access to CareConnect is highly encouraged in order to view a client’s HPV vaccination history.